As the region’s only provider of maternal-fetal medicine, Beginnings Maternity Center at Reading Hospital has a special understanding of the needs unique to the pregnant women and unborn babies for whom we care.
Our knowledgeable, concerned medical team will walk you through every step of evaluation, diagnosis, testing and/or treatment.
You may be referred to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist if your obstetrician suspects a special pregnancy-related matter or if a problem develops during your pregnancy. Our perinatologist is available 24 hours a day to consult with your obstetrician.
Maternal-fetal complications can't always be predicted. However, some complications may arise with the following:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Kidney disease
- Multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Health conditions existing with pregnancy including thyroid conditions, heart disease, sickle cell disease, lupus, HIV, etc.
- A family history of birth anomalies, genetic diseases or multiple pregnancy losses
- Maternal age over 35
Guiding Your Healthy Pregnancy
Turn to Beginnings Maternity Center for comprehensive maternal-fetal medicine and care including:
- Routine and specialized obstetric ultrasound in all three trimesters
- Maternal-fetal consultations, both inpatient and outpatient
- Preconception counseling
- Genetic counseling
- Nuchal translucency screening in the first trimester
- Non-invasive prenatal testing for screening of chromosomal abnormalities
- Acceptance of maternal transports from outlying hospitals for potential use of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Collaborative relationships with Neonatology and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) to facilitate the best possible neonatal outcomes
- Fetal echocardiography
- Diabetes in Pregnancy Program
Upon referral from your obstetrician, you may schedule an appointment for consultation by calling 484-628-8972.