The lactation consultants at Beginnings Maternity Center at Reading Hospital are health care professionals who are knowledgeable, skilled, and experienced in lactation (breastfeeding).
Our lactation and breastfeeding support team provides education, assistance, and support to breastfeeding women seven days a week.
Lactation & Breastfeeding Services
- Breastfeeding education for expectant mothers
- Instruction and support following delivery
- Assistance for breastfeeding infants in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Assistance for breastfeeding mothers during any hospitalization
- Resources and information on breastfeeding aids and equipment
- Education and support for healthcare providers
- Telephone support after discharge from the hospital
Breastfeeding, like most fundamentals of parenting, is learned, not instinctive. But after a little time, patience, and instruction, mom and baby find success.
How do I know if my breastfeeding is working?
If you answer YES to many of these questions, breastfeeding is likely going well for you and your baby.
If you answer NO, call our lactation support specialists at 484-628-9299 to help.
- Is breastfeeding going well?
- Does your baby breastfeed at least 8 times in 24 hours?
- For the first six weeks, does your baby have at least 6 very wet diapers, and at least 4 yellow bowel movements every day? After six weeks, your infant's habits may change, but will still have regular wet/dirty diapers.
- Is your baby getting only breastmilk - no formula or water?
- Do you put your baby to the breast as often as long as the baby would like?
- Do you let your baby finish the first breast before switching to the other side?
- Is your baby satisfied after most breastfeeding sessions? - in other words, is your baby relaxed or asleep, not rooting or sucking on hands, and not in need of a pacifier?
- Are your breasts and nipples comfortable?
Schedule an Appointment
If you have never breastfed before - and even if you have - it is natural to have some questions. Please call 484-628-9299 to speak with one of our lactation consultants.