Rapid-response treatment for stroke offers the greatest chance for recovery. Reading Hospital is an Advanced Primary Stroke Center that is fully equipped and staffed to provide state-of-the-art rapid evaluation and treatment of stroke.
Benefits of Rapid Response Treatment
Receiving treatment at the Stroke Center at Reading Hospital within three hours can greatly reduce the risk of permanent damage from a stroke.
- Rapid Response Brain Attack team, with outcomes in the top 5 percent nationally
- 24/7 neurology, neurosurgery, and neuroradiology availability
- Ability to administer intravenous t-PA (medicine to break up a blood clot)
- Neuro-interventionalist with ability to provide intra-arterial t-PA, or mechanical clot removal
- Eight-hour window of opportunity for advanced mechanical intervention
BEFAST Symptoms of Stroke
A stroke is a medical emergency. Remember these warning signs of stroke:
- BALANCE – Does the person have a sudden loss of balance?
- EYES – Has the person lost vision in one or both eyes?
- FACE – Does the person’s face look uneven?
- ARMS – Is one arm or leg hanging down or weak?
- SPEECH – Is the person’s speech slurred? Does the person have trouble speaking or seem confused?
- TIME – Call 9-1-1 now!
If you would like a BEFAST wallet card, call 484-628-HELP (4357).
Healthgrades Stroke Awards
Reading Hospital was named among the Top 5% in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke for 14 years in a row (2014-2020). Healthgrades also offered these distinctions:
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Neurosciences Excellence Award for Seven Years in a Row (2014-2020)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Stroke Care Excellence Award for 14 Years in a Row (2007-2020)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Neurosciences for Seven Years in a Row (2014-2020)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke for 14 Years in a Row (2007-2020)
- Five Star Recipient for Treatment of Stroke for 15 Years in a Row (2006-2020)
American Heart Association Award
The Stroke Center at Reading Hospital received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association 2019 Get With The Guidelines®– Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: StrokeSM Honor Roll.
The award recognizes Reading Hospital's commitment and success ensuring that stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence.
This is the 14th consecutive year the Stroke Center has received the Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award and the fifth consecutive year it has received the Target: StrokeSM Honor Roll
Advanced Primary Stroke Center Accreditation and Certification
- Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accreditation for Acute Stroke Rehabilitation Program
- Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certification - Advanced Primary Stroke Center program