Heart & Vascular Care
Through Miller Regional Heart Center at Reading Hospital, you’ll find a team focused on treating and preventing heart disease with a full range of cardiac care services. Heart disease is the most challenging health issue facing Americans today.
Did you know that every 34 seconds, someone in the United States has a heart attack? A diagnosis of cardiovascular disease can be frightening, but rest assured that Reading Hospital is here to help.
Leaders in Cardiology
Reading Hospital and Miller Regional Heart Center have historically been leaders in cardiovascular services. With four decades of experience in heart care, we introduced many services to Berks County – including the first EKG, open heart surgery and drug-eluting stents.
Our experienced, skilled physicians and staff bring together experts from different areas of cardiology to determine the best course of treatment for you.
Cardiovascular Services & Technology
As regional leaders in cardiovascular care, we offer you:
- The only hybrid operating room in Berks County, allowing cardiothoracic surgeons, cardiologists, and vascular surgeons to work together – so you get more care in less time
- The only da Vinci® Surgical System facility in Berks County for less-invasive procedures that speed your recovery
- The county’s first drive-by process to help heart attack patients get treatment sooner. Patients coming to the hospital with serious heart attacks are almost immediately sent to the cardiac catheterization lab where they receive angioplasty, a treatment where a catheter with a small balloon, at the tip, is inflated in the heart to open an artery.
- Time spent in the emergency room has been drastically decreased and as a result Reading Hospital's average "door-to-balloon" time is less than 50 minutes. The national average door-to-balloon time standard is 90 minutes. The longer it takes to open the artery the more heart damage may occur. The reduced door-to-balloon time can mean saving a heart from serious damage.
- Accredited cardiac ultrasound and non-invasive vascular tests
The Center is named for former Hospital Board Chairman Marlin Miller, Jr., who endowed the Regional Heart Center in 2004.
Supporting You & Your Family
While we rely on professional skills and technology, we also recognize that personal support is a large part of your complete care. You are a key member of the caregiving team, and we’re here to support you and your family.
Trust us for the information you need to make informed healthcare decisions. Our services extend beyond the inpatient stay through outpatient and home-based care options.
Awards & Recognition
You can trust us to provide care that leads to the best possible results. Explore the many distinctions we’ve earned from the following organizations:
- Five-Star Recipient for Coronary Bypass Surgery: 3 Years in a Row (2015-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack: 4 Years in a Row (2014-2017)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure: 5 Years in a Row (2013-2017)
The Joint Commission
- Top Performer on Key Quality Measures for Acute MI and Heart Failure
- Disease-Specific Certification for Heart Failure Program
American Heart Association
- Get with the Guidelines Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award for Heart Failure
- Mission Lifeline Gold Performance Achievement Award for Heart Attack
American College of Cardiology
- National Cardiovascular Data Registry Platinum Performance Achievement Award ACTION Registry-GWTG
- National Cardiovascular Data Registry Premier Status Achievement Award Acute Coronary Syndrome-GWTG
Blue Cross/Blue Shield Association
Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care
Becker’s Hospital Review
Top 100 Hospital with Great Heart Programs in Nation
High Performing for Congestive Heart Failure
Outcomes of Care
Count on us to promote excellence in heart care through the use of evidence-based guidelines developed by the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, and the Heart Failure Society of America.
We measure our success through data submitted to the American College of Cardiology National Cardiac Data Registry and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery databases.
We participate in quality improvement initiatives sponsored by The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Volunteer Hospital Association, and the American Heart Association's Heart Failure and Stroke Get With the Guidelines.
Continuous measurement of quality and outcomes facilitates improved patient care and reduces hospital admissions.