We are home to one of Pennsylvania’s largest Emergency Departments, recently expanded to include more than 115 treatment areas. Operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, we are ready to handle emergencies as they arise.
Many treatment areas are private, with doors in place of curtains. Each room is equipped with flat-screen TV’s, state-of-the-art interactive GetWell Network access, and telephones to help families stay in touch.
Our community-focused care is available for all ages, from newborn to geriatric patients.
Emergency Medicine Areas
- Acute Care serves the most seriously ill and injured patients in 38 specialty and multi-purpose treatment rooms. The unit also evaluates patients for medical, surgical, gynecologic, and pediatric emergencies.
- Intermediate/Fast Track Care is designed to treat people with less acute problems as quickly as possible.
- Observation houses patients requiring more prolonged emergency care.
- Our Level II Trauma Center provides care to acutely injured patients of all ages.
- Our department's CT Scanner is dedicated to emergency patients. This state-of-the-art 64-slice CT scanner for advanced imaging is used with for traumatic injuries, stroke and other potentially life-threatening problems.
- Pediatrics attends to the needs of our youngest patients.
- The Certified Chest Pain Center offers immediate cardiac evaluation of patients presenting with chest pain.
- Ours is the only Joint Commission-certified Advanced Primary Stroke Center in Berks County.
- Sexual assault nurse examiners are available 24/7.
Multispecialty Support Team
Board-certified emergency physicians, specialty trained emergency nurses, and specially trained support staff are on hand at all times. A wide range of services and capabilities allows us to assess and address cases of traumatic illness, injury, and other emergency conditions.
With a focus on teamwork and technology, we ensure patients are stabilized before transferring them to appropriate specialists as necessary.
Honors & Awards
The Emergency Department received the Highmark Quality Blue Award for reducing the time between arrival and discharge or admission. The award also recognizes the reduction in time for patients to be seen by a physician.
About the Facility
The Reading Hospital Emergency Department is located on the lower level of the N-Building at the West Reading Campus. Valet service is available.
If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1.