Lambda Nu Honor Society
In 2017, the School of Health Sciences' Medical Imaging Program established the Pennsylvania Sigma Chapter of the Lambda Nu National Honors Society for Radiologic and Imaging Sciences. Exceptional students, faculty, and alumni of the Medical Imaging Program are recognized for their honor, integrity, and academic achievement when they qualify to Lambda Nu. The purpose of our chapter is to:
- recognize exemplary scholarship
- foster excellence in teaching and scholarly inquiry in the radiologic and imaging sciences
- foster lifelong learning professionals for meaningful lives and productive careers
- foster highly skilled, knowledgeable, and caring individuals that can provide quality patient care in the medical community
Benefits of Membership
- Strengthen professional portfolio or resume
- Invitations to chapter events
- Networking opportunities with alumni including those who may not work at your place of employment
- One-time fee – no yearly membership dues
- Leadership opportunities – anyone can be nominated for officer or committee positions
- National chapter events and trips
- Scholarships for student members – twice per year in spring and fall
- Participation in an induction ceremony – current students receive honor cords to wear at graduation, a certificate, and a pin. Alumni receive a certificate and a pin.
Current Student Eligibility and Application
Students may apply to become members upon meeting the qualifying criteria:
- Cumulative GPA 3.0 or higher on 4.0 scale after completing the fourth semester of the Medical Imaging Program at Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences.
- Enrollment in an imaging sciences program for at least four semesters at Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences.
- Evidence of professional commitment during enrollment beyond minimum requirements of the program which will include at least two of the following or equivalent:
- Cumulative GPA 3.5 or higher.
- Actively pursuing an independent research project.
- Clinical-based employment in an imaging sciences field.
- Minimum 4-hour attendance at medical imaging-based conferences/webinars during enrollment (verified by completed attendance certificate.)
- Actively holding an officer position in a school-wide committee (SGA, etc.)
- Selected and served or are serving as a PSRT student intern or as a participant in ASRT Student Leadership Development Program.
- Participation in 25 hours or greater of community service at the time of application (verified as submitted through Alvernia University.)
- Students on clinical probation or final written warning at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- Students must have a cumulative GPA 3.0 or higher after completing the final semester of an imaging sciences program at Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences to wear Lambda Nu honor cords during the commencement ceremony.
- Students inducted into Lambda Nu as student members shall become alumni members following graduation.
- Students who do not maintain enrollment through successful completion of an imaging sciences program at Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences or those who get placed on clinical probation or final written warning after induction while enrolled are no longer considered active members and therefore will not have voting rights.
Download a Student Application [PDF]
Current Alumni Eligibility and Application
Alumni may apply to become members upon meeting the qualifying criteria:
- Be a graduate of an imaging science program at Reading Hospital School of Health Sciences or Reading Hospital Radiologic Technology Program.
- Provide evidence of a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale after completion of an imaging science program.
- Provide evidence of active membership in an imaging sciences professional organization.
- Provide evidence of current professional certification or recognized retired status by a nationally recognized credentialing organization in medical imaging.
Download an Alumni Application [PDF]
Download a Release of Records form [PDF]
Dues for students shall be a one-time fee of $55.
- $30 shall be forwarded with the proper application form to the national Lambda Nu Chapter for registration and issuance of an individual membership certificate. This is a one-time fee required by the national office.
- $16 shall be used for the purchase of Lambda Nu honor cords and pin.
- $9 shall be deposited in the Chapter account.
Dues for alumni shall be a one-time fee of $65.
- $6 shall be used for the purchase of the Lambda Nu pin.
- $29 shall be deposited in the Chapter account.
About Lambda Nu
- Lambda Nu’s name is derived from the lower case Greek characters in the formula λv, which represents the physics of the inverse relationship between wavelength (λ) and frequency (v), an essential parameter across the diversity of modalities comprising the professions.
- In a similar manner, Lambda Nu uses the upper case Greek characters Λ (Lambda) and Ν (Nu) to represent the inverse relationship and the delicate balance required between the art and the science inherent in the radiologic and imaging sciences professions of radiography, radiation therapy, and diagnostic medical sonography.
- Lambda Nu’s colors are maroon for the radiologic sciences, forest green for the health professions, and gold, the ancient color of honor.
- Lambda Nu National Honor Society was formed in 2001 at Arkansas State University and is the location of the Home Chapter. It was the first National Honor Society specific to the Medical Imaging Sciences.
- There are currently 184 Lambda Nu chapters in 43 states, and 14 of these are in Pennsylvania.
- More information can be found at www.lambdanu.org.
Pennsylvania Sigma By-Laws