Our residents all complete at least one research project and manuscript which is presented at a formal research symposium during their third year.
During the process, our residents learn the basics of research design, analysis, and data presentation. It also prepares them to critically analyze publications, research, and medical data throughout their career and helps to prepare our residents who choose to pursue an academic career or a fellowship.
Members of our faculty are involved in mentoring residents through the project completion. In addition, residents who have an abstract accepted and a manuscript prepared for publication will have their time and expenses covered to present the data nationally.
Recent Research Projects
- A Randomized Trial of IV Fluids During Labor. This is a multi-center, prospective, single-blind randomized trial of two types of IV fluids for maintenance hydration during labor. It is designed to determine if intrapartum use of a glucose-containing solution will improve the outcome of labor.
- The First Baby Study- NIH funded study in conjunction with Penn State Hershey Medical Center.
- The Effect of Luteal Phase and First Trimester Progesterone Supplementation on Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
- Oocyte cryopreservation during IVF cycles by vitrification using the Cryotip Ovarian tissue cryopreservation by vitrification.
- Chronic endometritis: improving pathologic diagnosis.
- Chlamydia trachomatis antibody titer by ELISA for the screening of tubal factor infertility.
- Atypical Glandular Cells and the Clinical Significance.
- Osteoporosis Screening and Treatment.
- The Association of Cardiovascular Disease in the Menopausal Age Women.
- Vitamin D and the Effects on Coronary Heart Disease and Osteoporosis.
- The Access and Care of Women in Rural Africa.
- Factors influencing a third-year medical student’s decision to choose obstetrics and gynecology versus another specialty prior to beginning clinical rotations.
- Medical Student Education on The ObGyn Clerkship: What is the Effect of Being a Male?
- Contraception usage and preferences in adolescents in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Reasons women with gestational diabetes fail to complete the appropriate postpartum glucose tolerance testing.
- Multimedia to educate OB/GYN residents in gynecologic ultrasounds.
- Computer Simulation of effect of perineum pressure in NVD.
- Vitamin D and Pregnancy Outcomes.
- Burnout and Job Satisfaction of an OB/GYN Resident.
- The degree of difference in transabdominal versus transvaginal ultrasound measurements of cervical length obtained by the same examiner will be statistically significant.
- Blinded Comparison of Cervical Portio length measurements by digital examination vs. cervilenz vs. transvaginal ultrasound in twin gestations.
- Association Between Breast Arterial Calcifications and Coronary Artery Disease – metanalysis.
- Limited Oocyte Insemination: Does the number of oocytes inseminated during IVF associate with postivive outcomes?