Department of Surgery Internship
The Department of Surgery Internship Program offers a six-week, non-credit, paid internship program where you work side-by-side with experienced perioperative personnel. Our goal is to ensure a safe and satisfying experience for our patients with top quality outcomes.
We have eight internships available. You will experience preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative care in a technologically advanced teaching hospital. You will also establish an excellent foundation for your career. This internship will help you better understand perioperative care focusing on the entire perioperative process.
Internship Dates: June 8 to July 17, 2020
The program is restricted to those college students who are considering a career in medicine.
What does the six-week program include?
- Gain knowledge about surgical care in the following specialties: Trauma, General, Cardiothoracic, Vascular, Robotic Bariatrics, Orthopedics, Plastics, Gynecology, and Neurosurgery.
- Interns will participate in providing quality direct and indirect patient care under the direction of designated healthcare professionals and surgeons inside the Operating Room and beyond.
- Opportunity to be co-assigned with designated surgeons and demonstrate an awareness of the diagnostic and treatment plan for patients, as often discussed in the office.
An orientation to the Operating Room is provided. Following orientations, responsibilities of the interns will be: Participate in clinical care, round on patients with surgeons, and participate in office hours. At two points during the six-week program, the interns will be expected to write a report regarding their experiences as summer interns.
The intern will receive a stipend of $1,000 at the end of the internship and free parking will be provided. We do not provide housing, therefore recommend only those who live within commuting distance only.
How to Apply
Please submit final packet in one PDF. Participants must be enrolled in college and interested in a medical career. The PDF should be in the following order:
- Complete the Department of Surgery Summer Internship Application [PDF]
- Personal Statement – Title the page with the name of the internship you are interested in, aptitude in medicine and a description of benefits expected to be gained from the program. Please include your name and limit to one page.
- Transcripts (Official or Unofficial college transcript(s)
- A letter of recommendation from an instructor or healthcare provider
Forward COMPLETE packet to Tina Figueroa by email at email@example.com or mail to:
Reading Hospital – Tower Health
c/o Tina Figueroa
Department of Surgery, TLL
P.O. Box 16052
Reading, PA 19612
Deadline for entire packet submission, including letter of recommendation, is: March 13, 2020.