Department of Surgery Internship
The Department of Surgery Internship Program offers a six-week internship program where you work side-by-side with experienced perioperative personnel.
We have eight internships available. You will experience preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative care in a technologically advanced teaching hospital and establish excellent foundation for your career. It will prepare you to understand better perioperative care focusing on the entire perioperative phase, ensuring a safe and satisfying experience for our patients with top quality outcomes.
Internship Dates: June 10 to July 19, 2019
The program is restricted to those students who are pre-med students or those considering a career in medicine.
What does the six-week program include?
- Gain knowledge about surgical care in the following specialties: Trauma, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, and Neurosurgery.
- Assist the healthcare team to provide quality direct and indirect patient care for patients under the direction of designated representatives.
- Observe in the Operating Room and assist with care of a patient as directed by the surgeon.
- Opportunity to be co-assigned with designated physicians and demonstrate an awareness of the diagnostic and treatment plan for patients.
Daily activities will include observation of clinical care, a research project, didactic programs and assigned readings. At the end of the 6-week program, the student will be expected to write a report regarding their experience as a summer intern.
The student will receive a stipend of $1,000 at the end of the internship and free parking will be provided.
How to Apply
Please submit final packet in one PDF. The PDF should be in the following order:
- Personal Statement – Title the page with the name of the internship you are interested in, aptitude in medicine and a description of benefits expected to be gained from the program. Please include your name and limit to one page.
- Transcripts (Official or Unofficial college transcript(s)
- A letter of recommendation from an instructor or healthcare provider
Candidates are required to submit a completed background check form a week after they receive it from our office.
Forward COMPLETE packet to Tina Figueroa by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Reading Hospital – Tower Health
c/o Tina Figueroa
Department of Surgery, TLL
P.O. Box 16052
Reading, PA 19612
Deadline for packet submission is: March 15, 2019.