Student Summer Internship
Reading Hospital offers a six-week internship in our Academic Affairs, Bariatrics, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Obstetrics/Gynecology departments.
We have seven internships available – interns each will be based in Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Obstetrics/Gynecology and will spend half of their time in research and half as clinical observers; one intern will spend the majority of time in Infectious Disease research, however will also participate in didactic sessions. If you have a preference, please specify it in your personal statement.
Internship Dates: June 10 to July 19, 2019
The program is restricted to those students who are either pre-med students completing their junior or senior year of college or medical students completing their first year of training.
What does the six-week program include?
- Development of a mentoring relationship with a teaching faculty member
- Exposure to clinical environments in the areas of Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Introduction to important concepts involving the doctor/patient relationship
- Introduction to the basic aspects of clinical epidemiology
- Opportunity to explore physiology and pathophysiology in one area of medicine
- Participation in a research project which may eventually lead to manuscript preparation
Daily activities will include observation of clinical care, a research project, didactic programs and assigned readings. At the end of the six-week program, the student will be expected to create a PowerPoint presentation outlining their research project and also an abstract.
The student will receive a stipend of $2,000 at the end of the internship and free parking will be provided.
How to Apply
Please submit final packet in one PDF. The PDF should be in the following order:
- Personal Statement – Title the page with the name of the internship you are interested in on the top of the page, aptitude in medicine and a description of benefits expected to be gained from the program. Please include your name and limit to one page.
- Transcripts – Official or unofficial college transcript(s)
Candidates are required to submit a completed background check form a week after they receive it from our office.
Forward COMPLETED PDF packet to Evangelina Cruz by email at email@example.com.
Deadline for Application submission is: March 15, 2019.