Student Summer Internship
**We are currently planning in continuing with the 2020 Summer Internship program, however, this may change due to escalating changes in the COVID-19 Outbreak. We will do our best to notify all of the students who have applied to the internship program if a decision is made to cancel the program.**
Reading Hospital offers a six-week internship in our Academic Affairs, Bariatrics, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Infectious Diseases, Internal Medicine and Obstetrics/Gynecology departments.
We have seven internships available – each intern will be based in Academic Affairs, Bariatrics, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Infectious Diseases, Internal Medicine, and Obstetrics/Gynecology and will spend half of their time in research and half as clinical observers. If you have a preference, please specify it in your personal statement.
Internship Dates: June 8 to July 17, 2020
The program is restricted to those students who are either pre-med students completing their junior or senior year of college or medical students completing their first year of training.
What does the six-week program include?
- Development of a mentoring relationship with a teaching faculty member
- Exposure to clinical environments in the areas of Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Introduction to important concepts involving the doctor/patient relationship
- Introduction to the basic aspects of clinical epidemiology
- Opportunity to explore physiology and pathophysiology in one area of medicine
- Participation in a research project which may eventually lead to manuscript preparation
Daily activities will include observation of clinical care, a research project, didactic programs and assigned readings. At the end of the six-week program, the student will be expected to create a PowerPoint presentation outlining their research project and also an abstract.
The student will receive a stipend of $2,000 at the end of the internship and free parking will be provided.
How to Apply
Please submit your documents in a PDF format and it should be in the following order:
- Complete Summer Internship Application [PDF]
- Personal Statement – Aptitude in medicine and a description of benefits expected to be gained from the program. Please include your name and limit to one page.
- Transcripts – Official or unofficial college transcript(s)
Candidates are required to submit a completed background check form a week after they receive it from our office.
Forward COMPLETED PDF packet to Evangelina Cruz by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application submission will be open on January 1, 2020.
Application deadline will be on March 13, 2020.